Sunday, April 25, 2010

Fabric fun!

This weekend, I seem to have hit the mother lode for fabric goodies and sewing-related fun!

First, The Thriftress and I went a-thrifting together on Friday. I've wanted to hit up a thrift shop for a while now to try and find woolen sweaters to felt (I've never done it before, but I wanted to try it). I also wanted to try and find some fun bedsheets to cannibalize for material. I was inspired to do this after checking out the gorgeous pictures of fat quarters gleaned from vintage bedsheets at My Tiny Robot Heart.  

A good time was had by all. While at the shop, we found two sewing cabinets with sewing machines still attached. I thought this gorgeous creature needed a home, but alas, my 744 square foot apartment is already bursting at the seams, so it won't be my home. Still, I could admire her and wish she could fit into my life!


I also snagged a couple of lovely used linens, though no woolens. Two of them are definitely NOT vintage, though the pink flowered sheets and yellow flower pillowcases might be. It doesn't matter - I just liked how they all look, and even more because they provided me with yards of fabric for only $14 bucks. I adore the pink one and think she is destined for to become an apron for me. The butterfly pattern will be great for some little girl dresses - now I just need some little girls to sew for!





In addition to the thrifting fun, my stash also grew this weekend when my good friend R, who is off on an around-the-world adventure for the next year (so jealous!) entrusted a huge variety of fabrics to my care and for my use while she is gone. Exciting!


The best treat was a mini-chest of barely-touched Madeira embroidery threads. I know nothing about using them, especially on my not-fancy machine, but the colors are so luscious, I could eat the spools. I might just spend the next year staring at their deliciousness.


All in all, a great fabric weekend!

I'm linking up to:

3 comments:

  1. When your post came up on Blogger I was like oh who is posting about fabric??!?! Then I realized it was you!! DId you do any research on the old sewing machines?

    Also you should link up to southernhospitalityblog.com/ tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flowered sheets. I would be using them for an apron or two. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are awesome fabric finds and I'm drooling over the vintage looking sewing machine--I have room here for it ;)
    Those fabrics your friend left are great and the threats create a tangible rainbow right there in your living room!
    Hugs, Lana

    ReplyDelete